Fluorescent Fittings are one of the most common types of Lighting in Commercial Buildings, whether it be 2D Circular Fitting or Strip-Light. The problem with this type of Fitting is that it is powered by a Ballast, which contains a Transformer and a small Capacitor that can overheat. Ballasts overheating can be caused by several factors, most commonly it is due to age but sometimes it can be just that it is of a poor quality and prone to failure.
Some of the signs that can suggest your Ballast is overheating are the lights flickering or a burning smell coming from the Fitting. If either of these are happening to your Fittings you should turn them off and consult an Electrician. As you can see from the pictures of the Fittings that we have recently taken down overheating Ballasts are a Fire Hazard and should be replaced immediately.
If you do decide to replace your Fluorescent Fitting then we suggest an LED alternative It may be more expensive initially but it consumes less energy, so it saves money over time, and does not produce a lot of heat so it is a much safer option.